- Former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
- Pro to the question "Was Bill Clinton a Good President?"
“Bill [Clinton] is an extraordinary mixture of easygoing charm and ferocious intellectual capacity. Probably, in terms of political intuition and certainly in terms of turning such intuition into analysis, he is the most formidable politician I ever met. My theory is that, in a curious way, the blessing of his times is the disadvantage of his legacy. As with any period, the years 1993-2000 were full of events, many of them significant. But the world-changing events – 9/11 and the financial crisis – happened in the next presidency.
Bill was actually a brilliant president. He made it at times look easy. He ran a good economy; made big reforms; handled… Kosovo with real leadership.”
A Journey: My Political Life, 2010
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with PhDs, JDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to US presidential history. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to US presidential history.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Appointed as a Middle East envoy on behalf of the United Nations, European Union, United States and Russia (the Quartet), 2007-present
- Recipient, US Presidential Medal of Freedom (awarded by President George W. Bush), Jan. 13, 2009
- Founder, Tony Blair Faith Foundation, 2008
- Founder, Tony Blair Sports Foundation, 2007
- Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (UK), 1997-2007
- Member, Privy Council, 1994- present
- Leader of the Labour Party, UK, 1994-2007
- UK Shadow Home Secretary, 1992-1994
- UK Shadow Secretary of State for Employment, 1989-1992
- UK Shadow Secretary of State for Energy, Shadow Cabinet, 1988-1989
- Promoted to the UK Shadow Treasury Front Bench, 1984
- Member of Parliament for the constituency of Sedgefield, 1983-2007
- Law Degree, St. John’s College, Oxford, 1975
- Born Anthony Charles Lynton Blair on May 6, 1953 in Edinburgh, Scotland
- Converted from Church of England to Catholicism in 2007
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Was Bill Clinton a Good President?